Tuesday 30 December 2014

Thoughts at the year end

I've just rediscovered this blog after a huge gap in posts. I could have deleted it all, but have decided to keep adding to it from time to time. I've reread some of my past posts and haven't found anything too cringe-worthy!
2014 has been the fastest year I've ever lived. Here are some highlights.

Memorable events

The birth of Samuel Caleb Peter, our second grand child in January.

My mum's 80th birthday in March, with a family get together in Titchfield Community Centre.

A successful Spring Harvest event for Veritasse in April.

Andrew, my brother's, 50th birthday celebration on a boat on Southampton Water in June.

Seeing and having my photo taken with a wild otter at Stackpole Quay, Pembrokeshire in June.

 
Working with 110 school children to paint a mural in an underpass prone to repeated graffiti. A wonderful (and exhausting!) experience.




My younger brother, Tim, and Maggie's 25th Wedding anniversary in August

Having a weekend in Pembrokeshire with good friends in late October

Selling Calming the storm and  my Driftwood dragon just before Christmas




Going to a Christian conference about business called "The transformed Working Life" in Swansea in September- very encouraging and thought provoking.

Hearing Rob's first sermon on Psalm 121 last week. Well done, Rob.

Overall flavour of the year
Enjoyable but very hard work. A bit of a slog at times.

What I have learnt this year
  • God is interested in every part of our lives, not just the bit when we go to church.
  • You can't make any changes without someone objecting, so if you want things to change, you have to be prepared to be criticised.
  • Being at peace with someone is often more important than being right.
  • I need to think carefully before taking on more responsibility.

Recommended films
I am including some from last year, as well as ones I have re-watched recently and enjoyed.
  • The Imitation Game- well acted, informative drama about Alan Turing, the inventor of the Enigma code breaking machine in WW2. It was realistic, thought provoking and sad.
  • About Time- One of my all time favourites. Whimsical, yet full of character development, family relationships and a positive ending.
  • The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel- I know it's older now but still really entertaining.
  • Belle- Historical drama based on true story. Well acted and exploring racial intolerance.
  • The 100 foot journey- a film about  neighbours coming to respect and like each other, despite different backgrounds. Set in France, with a food/restaurant background. Another all-time favourite.



No comments:

Post a Comment