Thursday 28 February 2013

The life of Pi

I've just started reading The life of Pi and am finding it very thought provoking. In the early chapters, the narrator talks about freedom in relation to zoo animals.
Now I have always tended towards the "It's cruel to keep animals in captivity" camp, but the book talks about whether freedom to go hungry, get attacked by predators or parasites etc is really what the animal would choose, if it could. It also talks about animals that have escaped from zoos, only to return to the environment they know at a later date. I have a feeling that there is something importnat hidden in these ideas, but will have to reread it and give myself time to think things through!
I have a feeling that The Life of Pi is going to raise many interesting philosophical points!

No comments:

Post a Comment